Herdsmen behind Owo Church attack – Lawmaker
The majority leader of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Oluwole Ogunmolasuyi, has alleged that the Sunday attack at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, that affected about 100 persons was carried out by suspected herdsmen.
Scores of worshippers, including children, died on Sunday when some gunmen invaded the church.
Some worshippers who sustained various degrees of injuries were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, for treatment.
“It’s a very sad incident. Of course, it had already happened before I got there. I saw thousands of angry youths. It was barbaric, never experienced in the history of Ondo State,” he said.
“We should be looking at a casualty figure of between 70 and 100. I saw more than 20 people dead, especially children.”
The lawmaker said he spoke with the parents of one of the survivors who said the attackers were herdsmen.
“They were shooting and they also used dynamite,” he said.
“The governor has really worked on security in the state, which is why we never believed something like this will happen in Ondo.”
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the attack and vowed that Nigeria will never give in to evil and wicked people. “No matter what, this country shall never give in to evil and wicked people, and darkness will never overcome light. Nigeria will eventually win,” he said.