New Police unit to take over from SARS

0 358

The Nigerian Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Abubakar Adamu has disclosed that training of a new police unit to take over from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) will commence next week.

Recall that SARS was on Sunday dissolved after series of protests broke out last week when a video emerged showing members of the unit shooting a man dead in Delta State.

However, in a statement on Tuesday, Adamu noted that with the disbandment of SARS, there was a need to put in place a new structure to take up the duties of the defunct police unit adding that the new unit will be intelligence-driven, properly trained and only act on special occasions that require their attention.

The unit is said to consist of fresh personnel with a fresh orientation and not officers from the scrapped unit.

Adamu said:  “We want justice to be done and justice will be done.”

The IGP however added that officers of the disbanded unit will be retrained and given other responsibilities in the force but will not be reabsorbed into the new unit.

Read Similar Posts:

    None Found

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.