ASUU pledged to continue strike says FG to fulfill agreement

0 427

The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has vowed that the ongoing strike would continue until the Federal Government fulfill the agreement that both parties arrive at in their last meeting.

According to the lecturers, the strike would be called off only if they got substantial proof and evident action that the offers made to them by the Federal Government had been implemented.

Also, ASUU said it was tired of Federal Government’s tricks of making unfulfilled promises.

The National President of ASUU, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi made this known in an interview with reporters in Lagos yesterday.

He said “Our members said they want to see evidence of satisfactory implementation of all they have proposed before the strike can be called off.”

ASUU had however met with Federal Government officials which included the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, as well as his Labour and Employment counterpart, Chris Ngige.

Ngige made it known that the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation and the Ministry of Finance had confirmed with evidence that N15.4bn had been released to public universities.

Meanwhile ASUU president said “As for the proposal, it can be dis-aggregated.

“There are items there that require implementation. If they are setting up a committee on state universities, and they actually do, it is not something we need to agree on. It is about action.

“If they have implemented it, it is off the list. If the government says it will pay a shortfall of salaries on a certain date, and the date comes and they release the money, it is also implementation. There is no agreement on the matter.

“On the revitalization fund, we presented to the government that five tranches of N220bn each were outstanding. The government has not said it will release one, even if it is spread over a period of one year. There is no agreement on that. What they are offering is not even up to one tranche.

“Last year, they promised to release the fund but they did not till November when the strike began. Long story short, our members are saying they do not want promises again, what they want is action, implementation or disbursement of funds. The government must act in a way to convince the union that agreement has not been set aside; to show that government has not set aside the agreement, they should release one tranche.”

He went on to explain that in order to avert a situation where ASUU and the government would restart negotiations on arrears of earned academic allowances, both parties came to the conclusion that “it would be mainstreamed into the 2019 budget.

“We are going to have a discussion on when to commence renegotiation because there are still grey areas. If the government can substantially address these issues, we will be more confident to face our members on the way forward. For now, the feeler we are getting is that our members do not actually want to accept this government proposal from us.

“They said they would pay the shortfall of salary arrears of what was removed from workers’ salaries. There are 20 universities identified. The money will be available by January 18. It is around the corner and we will see if it will come.”

Read Similar Posts:

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.