A Ugandan court has ordered security forces that occupied the house of Bobi Wine, to vacate the premises after ten days of occupation.
Wine, a popular singer, was the main opposition frontrunner in the presidential elections held on January 14 and his home has been surrounded by military and police since the elections ended.
According to the presidential candidate’s lawyer, the court held that the freedom to personal liberty is top crucial that it should not be restricted casually or indefinitely.
Justice Michael Elubu, who heads the court’s civil division, said that if the government had evidence against Wine, he should be charged in court and not “held unjustifiably at his home,” according to George Musisi, Wine’s lawyer.
Uganda’s longtime leader President Yoweri Museveni was declared winner of the elections for a record sixth term by the country’s electoral commission.
Wine rejected the election results, saying he has evidence of fraud and intimidation.
He also posted on Twitter last week that no one has been allowed to visit his home where he was with stuck with his wife, Barbara, and her 18-month-old niece with no food.
Soldiers remain at the compound and Uganda’s military has a “history of defying court orders,” Musisi said. He added that they would petition the court for each soldier that remains to be held in contempt.
A spokesperson for the Uganda Police Force said the officers still at Wine’s home will vacate the premises.
“We are a law-abiding institution and do respect the High Court ruling,” he said on Monday.
Wine’s team will decide in the next 24 hours whether they will appeal the results of the elections. Wine’s team had hoped to decide sooner, but have been unable to meet because of the house arrest, Musisi added.
Read Similar Posts:
- None Found