Civil unrest: Hong Kong replaces traditional New Year’s Eve fireworks with pyrotechnics
Following its almost year long violent protest in Hong Kong, the authority of the city said it would cancel the traditional New Year’s Eve fireworks display and replace it with pyrotechnics which would be released from the city rooftops instead.
The fireworks show was scheduled to take place on Dec. 31 over the Victoria Harbour.
Hong Kong police cited the ongoing violent protest in the country as a safety and security threat, and thus, large-scale events will have to be cancelled.
The Hong Kong Tourism Board chairman, Pang Yiu-kai, said via SCMP: “Public safety is our top priority as the fireworks can attract huge crowds gathering around the harbour.”
Hong Kong has seen increasing chaos over the past seven months, with protesters blocking roads and disrupting public transport networks.
Besides the country’s civil unrest situation, Hong Kong Tourism Board has also revealed on Tuesday, Dec. 17 that the country has seen a significant 56 per cent drop in the number of tourists in November.
In addition, the city’s flagship airline reported a 46 per cent decrease in the number of passenger arrivals.
The jobless rate in the food and beverage industry also surged to a seven-year high.
The anti-government protests have also caused the cancellation of other major events in the country.
Just last month, Hong Kong Disneyland announced the cancellation of its New Year’s Eve countdown party.
The country’s annual National Day fireworks display was also cancelled on Oct. 1.
On top of that, the Lunar New Year parade, 2020 Hong Kong Formula E-Prix, Hong Kong Tennis Open, Clockenflap music festival and the Wine & Dine Festival, are also cancelled.